Saturday, March 28, 2015

Big Game: a review

Hello!

I'm actually awful at writing reviews and I don't usually write them unless I have to but I went to see Big Game today and I suddenly felt like writing one. I had pretty high expectations and I wasn't let down which was nice. It might be because I'm not usually a huge fan of these kind of movies so I don't have many things to compare it with but I think it was pretty great. Worth of going to see it in the movies.


Written and directed by Jalmari Helander
Starred: Samuel L. Jackson, Onni Tommila, Jorma Tommila, Ray Stevenson and others

The movie starts by following a Finnish boy, Oskari, who is going on a hunting mission to prove his manliness to the people in his village. The day before his 13th birthday, Oskari is taken to a forest for a day to hunt something to take back to the other hunters. He is determined to make his dad proud as he is quite famous in the village for killing a bear on his own hunting mission. Little does Oskari know his trip will be full of action, drama, near death experiences and life lessons by the president of the United States himself.

As the Air Force One is shot down on it's way to Helsinki, starts an action packed adventure including the heroes hiding from the terrorists, betrayal, hilarious one liners and gunshots. So. Many. Gunshots. The movie is full of plot twists one after another all the way until the end of the film. Some are predictable, some completely unexpected. You never really know who are on the good side.

My only problem with the movie is that it's supposed to be set in Northern Finland. As much as I loved the breathtaking scenes of the mountains and forests, it was definitely not Finland. As someone who lives in Northern Finland, I can confirm there are not that kind of mountains there. These scenes were filmed mostly in Germany. Other than that the movie was great and I found myself sitting at the edge of my seat most of the time. Editing was nice too, I especially liked a part where Oskari was practicing hunting in the forest and the sound effects made it sound real even though he was just pretending.

I'd give the movie ★★★★

See you soon!
~Susanna

No comments: